In this guide, we will look at how to install, setup, and play Minecraft VR! We have full information on all VR headsets including the Oculus Rift S, HTC Vive, HP Reverb G2, Playstation VR, Oculus Quest, and more.
- We will take a look at the differences or similarities between Minecraft VR (Windows vs Java Editions) and Vivecraft.
- We’ll show you step-by-step how to install Minecraft VR on every virtual reality headset.
- We’ll show you some general Minecraft tips for virtual reality
- NEW: Discovery is a new Minecraft clone for the Oculus Quest 2 or 1 that we highly recommend. We have instructions for installing it below.
If we’ve missed anything, make sure to comment down below at the bottom of this guide.
Go and check out Minecraft alongside 24 other top PC VR games.
What is Minecraft?
Minecraft is an action-adventure sandbox title created by Mojang way back in 2009 and purchased by Microsoft in 2014.. It offers players a limitless virtual world where they can build anything with an array of different modes. It is perfect for almost any type of gamer. Minecraft is available on almost any gaming platform: computers, Sony Playstation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo Switch, VR, mobile devices (pocket edition), tablets, and more.
Minecraft comes with lots of features, including crafting, gathering basic necessities, creating safety, and exploring. If you are a creative person, you will enjoy the endless playground the game has to offer. You can build virtually anything you can imagine. The team frequently releases new worlds, equipment, and modifications that keep the game fresh and exciting for players.
Along with Roblox and Fortnite, Minecraft is one of the most popular games of all time. The popularity of the game has led to online showcases of elaborate lands that have been built. Real world locations like San Francisco, New York, Paris, and other cities have been modeled in Minecraft for users to explore.
The game’s two main games are Creative and Survival Mode.
In Survival Mode, players must find their own building supplies and food. They also interact with blocklike mobs or moving creatures.
In Creative Mode, players are given supplies and do not have to eat to survive. They also can break all kinds of blocks immediately.
When the first virtual reality headsets were released, fans were quick to create a third-party hack that allowed Minecraft to be played in VR. This VR version hack is still available today and it is called Vivecraft.
Over time, Minecraft has added support for virtual reality to some select headsets. The Samsung Gear VR edition was the first to receive support and the Oculus Rift VR headset does today too. At one point, Oculus and Minecraft even partnered on a VR headset and controller bundle.
Today, the official VR version is one of the most popular and immersive VR games available. Virtual reality gives players a more immersive experience verses traditional PC gaming. If you have an Oculus Rift headset and own the PC version, VR Minecraft is available as a free update.
Minecraft gets even more advanced with ray tracing if you own one of the new Nvidia RTX 30-series graphics cards.
Next, we’ll go over the official Minecraft virtual reality version verses Vivecraft including their similarities and differences. This will help you decide which VR experience is best for you to install.
Minecraft VR vs Vivecraft
Virtual reality support has been added to Minecraft VR through a close partnership with Facebook and Oculus. Oculus headset owners can download the VR addon for free from the Oculus store. When they run it in their VR headset, Minecraft will launch with full VR support. When the Minecraft game is updated, Rift S owners have VR support immediately. There is no need to wait for a mod to catch up with the main game release.
This sounds great, but it’s a bit more complicated than that. For starters, there are actually two active versions of Minecraft: Windows edition and Java edition. Let’s go over those two first:
Windows vs Java Editions
Originally, Java was the original desktop version of Minecraft and the Windows edition was a port of the pocket edition. Over time, these two versions will merge together into a single copy. Until there, there are a few big diferences.
For starters, the Java edition allows you to play Minecraft multiplayer with people around the world. There are plenty of VR servers to join and play with other players. The Windows edition supports playing in a single room with up to 10 people at a time only.
If you want to play with Minecraft VR mods and enhancements then the Java edition is going to be your pick. The Windows edition does not currently support third party mods outside of a few texture enhancements.
The Windows Edition of Minecraft supports Xbox and other Bluetooth controllers better. You can configure your controller to work best for you and optimize to your liking. This might not be a big factor for virtual reality players, since VR mode activates VR controller support at the same time.
Lastly, the cost of the Java edition is higher at $28 vs $10. When you buy the Java edition then you also get a code to redeem and play the Windows edition too.
Both editions of Minecraft have free VR support included. However, there is also a third party VR mod for Minecraft called Vivecraft.
Vivecraft is a third-party Minecraft APK mod that makes the game compatible with virtual reality. It’s compatible with all headsets including all HTC and Oculus devices. The official Minecraft virtual reality only works really good on the Oculus Rift. In order to use Vivecraft, you must install SteamVR on your computer.
Other cool Vivecraft features are:
- Full roomscale support
- World scaling: Scale your size in the world up or down. Play as an ant or a giant
- Break blocks and fight by swinging your hands
- Shoot your bow by drawing and aiming two-handed
- Climb, swim, run, jump, sneak, eat, and row by actually doing the motion!
- Feed animals, mount horses, and fill buckets just by touching!
- Play with your friends and see each other’s VR movements. (even for 2d players!)
- Multiple VR locomotion options:
- Arc teleportation
- Free-movement in the direction you are pointing the controller or your head.
- Walkabout-style of rotation using 100% room-scale movement.
- Seated play with walkabout-style of rotation in your look direction
- Wall-scaling and leaping
Vivecraft is completely safe and is a great option for VR players to have.
Players are mixed on which one is better between official Minecraft vs Vivecraft for virtual reality. Regular Minecraft has motion sickness due to the artificial movement. Vivecraft in teleport mode greatly reduces motion sickness, so it should be a lot better.
Official Minecraft offers better performance because it maintains a solid 90 FPS at much higher view distances. On the other hand, a lot of players prefer the Vivecraft control scheme a lot better.
Ultimately, both are worth checking out if you have an Oculus device. Or else, go with Vivecraft today.
How To Install Minecraft VR on Oculus Rift
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to install Minecraft on the Oculus Rift PCVR headset:
- Purchase the official Windows or Java version of Minecraft (it doesn’t matter which one) and install it on your computer.
- Download Oculus Home on your computer visiting www.oculus.com/setup and click on the “start download” button.
- In Oculus Home, search for Minecraft and install the free game. This will install the virtual reality runtime files.
- The next time you launch Minecraft from inside your Rift headset, the regular Windows game will launch with full VR-support.
How To Install Vivecraft VR
Follow the steps below to install Vivecraft VR:
- Make sure that you’ve installed and run SteamVR on your PC before.
- Buy, download, and run the Minecraft Launcher on your PC. The Launcher will set up the necessary files.
- Download the latest version of Vivecraft. Run the Vivecraft Installer.
- Go through the installation options that pop up. You’ll be able to see what they do by holding your mouse cursor over each option. It’s best if you leave defaults the way they are.
- With everything set, go ahead and install Vivecraft. This process might take time because you need to download some files.
- After downloading those files, rerun the Minecraft Launcher. You’ll automatically see a profile for Vivecraft, and you’ll be good to go.
- You can now hit play and dive into the world of Vivecraft with the control options you prefer.
How to Install Minecraft on the Oculus Quest
Despite not being available in the official Quest store, you can still install Minecraft VR Oculus Quest as long as you have the following things:
- Oculus Quest VR Heaset (duh)
- Oculus Link cable (the Quest charging cable works) or Virtual Desktop and Quest mod
Both Oculus Link and Virtual Desktop will work to play Minecraft. Since the charging cable now works for Link, it’s the free method to setup Minecraft. However, you will have a cable attached to your PC which some people just don’t like. We’ll show both options below.
Once you have all of those, here is how to install Minecraft VR on the Oculus Quest:
Oculus Link Method
- Install Minecraft Java or Windows 10 Edition (it doesn’t matter) on your Windows PC from the official Minecraft website.
- Search and download the Minecraft extension from the Oculus Rift store.
- Put on your Oculus Quest and attach your Link cable to your PC.
- Launch the Rift platform through Oculus Link and start Minecraft VR.
Our Oculus Link guide has instructions on how to download and get the Rift platform setup on your computer if you need more help.
Virtual Desktop Method
- Install Minecraft Java Edition on your WindowsPC from the official Minecraft website.
- Download Virtual Desktop for the Oculus Quest and the mode from SideQuest. View this guide if you are having trouble.
- Make sure you have SteamVR installed on your PC.
- Download and install the latest version of Vivecraft.
- Launch the Virtual Desktop application on your VR platform and put on your headset.
- In Virtual Desktop VR, launch the Minecraft Java Launcher that Vivecraft installed on your computer.
- In your VR headset, Minecraft will open up in front of you in full virtual reality.
How to Install Discovery on the Oculus Quest (Mincraft Clone)
Discovery is a sandbox building game that looks and feels exactly like Minecraft. It has been out since the start of 2021 and has received regular updates.
To install and play Discover on the Oculus Quest, first follow our guide to install and setup SideQuest VR for the Quest.
When you are ready to go, click here to go to the Discovery app page. With your Quest headset connected to your computer, click on Install to Headset to install the app. Discovery has been submitted to the Oculus App Lab and will be available to download and install from there soon.
Also, a group is currently working to port Vivecraft to the Quest platform. We will have more details when that becomes available.
How to Install Minecraft on Playstation VR
As of September 23, 2020, Minecraft for PSVR is now available as a free update to anyone who has the game! Just make sure your game is updated and you will have access to enable Minecraft VR mode when you put on your Playstation VR headset.
On September 7th, 2020, a new blog post on the Sony blog announced that Minecraft virtual reality is coming to the PSVR!
Anyone who has Minecraft for Playstation 4 received a patch that automatically gives access to Minecraft VR functionality. You’ll need a PSVR setup to use it, but everything else is automatic.
If you’d like to buy the game, check out the official Sony Minecraft store page.
Minecraft VR Tips
Here are some specific tips about playing Minecraft in virtual reality that you should know about.
- If you plan to use mods and enable shader packs, be aware that this will slow down your game and max out your computer resources. This is amplified when playing in virtual reality.
- Get familiar with the menu and building controls in virtual reality, which are different than on PC and can feel slower at first.
- Play in short bursts in order to get your legs used to playing in virtual reality.
- Stop as soon as you feel motion sickness coming out.
We have tons of other VR tips which are useful for playing games in virtual reality.
General Minecraft Tips
The following tips will help you survive in Minecraft VR:
- Don’t take large risks far from home. Always carry a stack of touches
- Don’t forget to get enough food. You can find food by robbing villages or grabbing animals.
- Build a sustainable house using cobblestone or obsidian.
- Make sure to have a lot of lightning.
- Use Armor because it is super effective and will help you defend yourself against your enemies.
- Cave mining works to gain stacks of loot
- Use dogs as your companion; they will do the hard work for you
- Try fishing or farming if you are bored
- Get diamonds by mining large tunnels at bedrock levels, or find them in village chests.
Have any other tips to add? Let us know at the bottom of the article!
Minecraft VR Gameplay Videos
Not sure what to expect out of this game in virtual reality? Check out these gameplay videos below for VR content.
Minecraft VR is now one of the best games you can play in virtual reality. It is currently available as a free update on the Oculus store if you already have bought the Windows 10 Edition.
You should definitely try it if you have an Oculus Rift S.
What is your favorite game to play on Minecraft? Comment below and help other players out!
You need the following to play Vivecraft
- Minecraft: Java Edition. Available from the Minecraft website.
- Java. Available from here.
- Steam with SteamVR installed and configured.
- A SteamVR-compatible headset such as the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift S, Valve Index, or Windows MR.
A non-compatible headset, such the Oculus Quest 1 or 2, GearVR, Google Cardboard, Vive Focus or PSVR and properly configured SteamVR emulation software .
- A PC capable of playing VR on a dedicated GPU. Integrated Intel graphics are not supported. Gaming laptops frequently need to be specifically configured to use the dedicated GPU for Minecraft. See the faq for more details.
- Either standing motion controls or a keyboard and mouse. Gamepads are not currently supported.
Vivecraft is available for several Minecraft versions. All versions contain Optifine which adds shaders support, dynamic lights, and other graphical improvements. All versions can be played online. Not all versions support the same VR features or support Forge mods.
There are 4 downloads available for each version.
– The VR Client is the main mod for VR players.
– The NonVR (2D) Client is for desktop players who wish to see VR animations or LAN-host.
– The Spigot plugin is to enable animations on a Spigot server.
– the Forge server mod is to enable animations on a Forge server.
The links will take you to the release page for that file. The downloads are in the Assets section on github. The VR and NONVR clients use the same page.
Please see the Multiplayer page for instructions on setting up a Vivecraft-compatible multiplayer server.
1.17 Beta : Vivecraft 1.17.X
These versions no longer receive updates and may not include all the features described on this site.
Installation is easy. Follow these instructions to install the Vivecraft client. Installation is the same the first time you install and for updates. You can install Vivecraft multiple times with different options with no issue.
- Run the Minecraft Launcher on your PC at least once to make the game folders. You don’t need to actually launch the game. Close the launcher.
- Make sure the Minecraft Launcher is NOT running.
- Run the Vivecraft Installer. Note the installation option checkboxes
- Hover your mouse over each option to see what it does. Generally you should leave the defaults.
- If you want support for Forge mods check the Forge box. If the installer cannot detect Forge already installed it will download and run the installer for you
- Do not allocate more RAM than you need. 4gb is more than sufficient for all but the largest modpacks.
- Click install. The program will download some files and set up your launcher profile.
- If you are running on a laptop. Make sure to force the high-performance processor in the gpu control panel. See the faq for more details.
- Run the Minecraft Launcher.
- The profile for Vivecraft should already be selected, If is it not, ensure the ‘modded’ profiles checkbox is checked. See Image.
- Click Play.
Check the How to play page for an overview of VR features and tips.
If the game does not launch or you encounter any issues, please read the faq, which covers many common problems.
Virtual Reality, or VR, can take you directly into the universe of Minecraft. Minecraft is one of the most famous and most played games in the world, and it is presently accessible in VR. Almost 170 million copies of Minecraft are sold out. In this video game, you can construct and move around several worlds, explore, and fight with dangerous Mobs. Basically, you can do whatever you like in Minecraft. When you encounter the Mobs directly, the VR head-mounted device creates a pronounced feeling of fear. This scenario encompasses you completely in the virtual environment because of the realistic 3D visual and audio effects.
Minecraft is becoming more popular day by day because it is available in several editions for various platforms, including Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality, PlayStation3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, mobile devices, and PC. The versions of Minecraft that you can play using your VR headset are shown below:
There are two versions of the game. One of the versions is Minecraft Starter Collection, worth $29.99 USD, and the other is Minecraft Master Collection, worth $49.99 USD. The game is available on mobile, as well.
Minecraft for Oculus Rift
There are two ways to download Minecraft for Oculus Rift. It can directly be downloaded from the Windows Store or the Oculus Store. The game can be downloaded using either of these methods. To download Minecraft from the Windows store, go to the Microsoft Windows Store and search for the Minecraft game. Download a copy of Minecraft, sign in to your Microsoft account, and install the application. You can also try the game free of cost before buying the full game.
The Demo version of Minecraft for Oculus Rift can be played for free. In this game, you can build anything you visualize and visit different worlds. You will have to survive while battling dangerous Mobs. The view in VR would be first-person instead of third-person. Both Rift and Rift S headsets support Minecraft.
In Minecraft VR, you can explore limitless worlds and construct anything you want, either simple homes or grand palaces. You can play in creative mode with infinite resources, or survival mode to mine deep into the world and create weapons and shields to fight off the hazardous crowd. You can play this game alone or with companions on your Xbox One and Windows 10.
Minecraft in Windows 10 is compatible with Oculus Rift headsets and Windows mixed reality, supporting all the features of Minecraft that you love to play.
Minecraft for Windows Mixed Reality
Minecraft can be played using Windows mixed reality headsets, through which players can explore Minecraft worlds in a fully 3D environment. Perhaps, before reading this article, you were only aware of the ability to play Minecraft on Oculus Rift. Presently, Windows Mixed Reality offers you many more alternatives, providing an impressive virtual environment. Simply connect the headset via USB, and you are all set.
Likewise, there are a ton of VR headsets that you can choose from. Many electronic manufacturers are making Windows mixed reality headsets. Samsung, Dell, Acer, and HP have made their own headsets for Windows Mixed Reality, so you can pick whichever device works best for you, at a reasonable cost to boot.
Minecraft for PlayStation VR
Minecraft now supports PlayStation VR headsets, as well. After the latest update, you can enjoy Minecraft in PlayStation VR. For this, you will need a PlayStation VR headset and PS4 controllers.
To begin playing, update Minecraft on your PlayStation 4 gaming device and prepare yourself to appear directly inside of Minecraft. After updating the game, two distinct modes will appear:
- Living Room Mode
- Immersive Mode
Living Room Mode, as its name suggests, allows you to experience the VR version of the game by sitting in a lounge. Meanwhile, Immersive Mode allows you to move freely inside the game, as you would in reality. You can play this game in virtual reality as you would play normally. All the features are almost the same in VR, but the 3D effects will immerse you in the world of Minecraft like never before.
Minecraft for Oculus Quest
If you own an Oculus Quest, you can also play Minecraft in VR with this device. Yes, Oculus Quest is a standalone headset and Minecraft is not available for that. If you search Minecraft on the Oculus Quest store you will not find it. However, you need not spend money on a new headset! Oculus Quest supports Oculus Link, which allows you to connect your headset with a PC – you just need to buy an Oculus Link cable. The Oculus Quest will behave like a traditional tethered headset, and you can play the PC version of Minecraft using this device.
Minecraft is an amazing game and is available for several different platforms. The number of players that are playing Minecraft is increasing day by day. The VR version of this game gives you an immersive experience to explore the world any way you want. It is a fun game, whether you play as a single-player or multiplayer. The VR experience of Minecraft has made it more popular because everyone desires to experience the game as close to reality as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you enable VR in Minecraft?
To enable VR in Minecraft, you will first need to have Minecraft VR downloaded onto your chosen device and have a compatible VR headset. As we touched on in the above article, there are plenty of choices for VR headsets.
Ensure that the headset is turned on and load Minecraft VR on your device. For example, if you play Minecraft on your PS4, you will need to place your headset on and locate the main menu.
Then press the triangle button to enter VR mode, this will turn VR mode on, and you will have two choices: immersive mode and living room mode. Use your D-pad toggles to choose between the two. For a truly immersive experience, select the immersive mode.
For those using computers, phones, or other devices, you will need to turn your VR headset on, enabling VR mode on the game. You will need to purchase an Oculus Link cable to connect to your PC for those using an Oculus Quest. This does tether you to the PC but will allow you to enjoy the immersive game.
If you run into any issues, be sure to consult your VR headset settings and your device to ensure they’re on and ready for VR mode.
Is Minecraft VR free?
If you currently play Minecraft and what platform you use, you can get Minecraft VR for free! For those who currently own Minecraft on Windows 10 Edition Beta, you can upgrade to Minecraft VR for free, meaning you won’t need to pay again and can enjoy the game in fantastic VR quality.
It’s worth noting that you will need to own already or purchase a compatible VR headset to use and get the most out of Minecraft VR successfully! Don’t worry; we will tell you below which headset you need if you aren’t sure.
For those that don’t currently have a version of Minecraft downloaded, you can download Minecraft for Rift on the Oculus store for free! You can download it onto Rift, Gear VR, iOS, Android, and Windows 10 devices.
You can also upgrade to the full version too. Prices range depending on the store and platform you use, but it’s an affordable version to download! Once you have downloaded it, you can toggle on VR mode and enjoy an immersive gaming experience.
What VR headset do you need to play Minecraft?
The VR headset that you need will depend on the device you are using to play Minecraft. Those using a PS4 will have to use PlayStation’s VR headset. You will be unlikely to find compatibility with other brands, and it’s best to stick to PlayStation’s headset.
However, those using mobile devices, PCs, or other devices have more choice. For example, Oculus’s Quest VR headset is a popular choice with many Minecraft players and one that’s compatible with a range of devices.
You can choose from a range of mixed reality compatible headsets; just ensure they are compatible with your device before purchasing. The wide selection of choices means that there is sure to be a VR headset that suits every budget!
How To Play Minecraft On Oculus Quest 2? Know How To Run Minecraft On Oculus Quest 2
The gaming scene has taken up VR as its likely arrangements as of now. Virtual Reality will help overhaul the gaming scene totally. It will change the way players approach a game, playing styles, and furthermore, the client base. It will give another interesting degree of inundation for the players that they have never been seen.
Oculus by Facebook has been one of the pioneers of VR innovation. Oculus Rift was their first VR gadget which was fruitful and now they have concocted their most recent VR headset, the Oculus Quest 2. Players want to know how to play Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2.
Also read: How Long Does Oculus Quest 2 Take To Charge? How To Tell When The Head Is Fully Charged?
Also read: How To Charge Oculus Quest 2 Controllers? Learn How To Use The Oculus 2 Charging Station
How to Play Minecraft in Oculus Quest 2?
To play Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2, the players need to complete some prerequisites. Here’s How to play Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2:
- First, the players need to install Java on their PC
- Then the players need to buy and download the Minecraft Java Version on their PC
- After that, the players should run the game to check if it is working fine
- Then the players need to download and install Steam VR on their PC
- After that, the players can download Vivecraft to run Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2
- Then the players need to open the Minecraft Java version and choose the Vivecraft Profile to run the game on the Oculus Quest 2.
- To connect the Oculus Quest 2 to the PC the players will need a cable and install the Virtual Desktop Streamer Application
- And finally through this method players can easily enjoy Minecraft on the Oculus Quest 2.
Oculus Quest 2 Specs
The Oculus Quest 2 is the most advanced VR headset to date. To create such an advanced headset, the developers have added a number of intense features. These features will enable the Oculus Quest 2 to handle the next-gen graphics. Here is the spec sheet for the Oculus Quest 2:
- CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2
- RAM: 6GB
- Resolution: 1832 x 1920
- Refresh rate: 90 Hz
- Storage: 64GB / 256GB
- Integrated speakers and microphone
- 2-3 hours of battery life
- Adjustable IPD with three settings for 58, 63, and 68mm
- Redesigned controllers
To use Oculus Link, the players need the Oculus PC app. Once they've downloaded the PC app, make sure that the Oculus PC software version is up to date and that their Quest is running the latest operating system.
Also read: Oculus Quest 2 Not Pairing: Follow These Steps To Fix The Bluetooth Pairing Error
Also read: How To Cast Oculus Quest 2 To TV: A Detailed Step-by-step Setup Guide
Setup minecraft vr
I think it's not fair on your part to deprive us and give the first choice to these jerks, is it the commander. - a rather pleasant male timbre was heard throughout the room, and then he himself appeared, followed by a retinue of. Seven strong guys. This was the G8 she had heard of from a dead soldier.
They looked like ordinary people.Minecraft, But Every Minute it gets 1% More Realistic...
Not bad, but tell me, please, do you really want children from your future wife's sister. - Probably not - I honestly answered She got up and went to the shower, after which she took something and, hugging me, stroking and kissing. My fallen member, went to sleep next to me. Tanya looked at him with an incomprehensible misty look, then looked at herself.
- Tractor fuel filter assembly
- Tapestry free shipping
- Optilink speed test
- Price of cadillac car
- F150 starter solenoid
- Aztec goddess costumes
But I don't want to be a slave. - Who will ask you a bitch. Are you already on your knees and at the same time declaring that you will not be a slave.